Aromatherapy is something that is used widely across the world for various different reasons but do we really know how much it can help us? In this article we will give a brief introduction to aromatherapy and look at ways in which it can help your emotional wellbeing.
What is Aromatherapy?
Aromatherapy is an alternative therapy that uses essential oils to treat a person who may be suffering from various different conditions including emotional, physical and psychological problems. Essential oils are usually extracted from plants and can be used in a variety of different ways.
For example they can be used in a bath of diluted to use as massage oil. The idea is that the oil will penetrate into the body through the skin and/or be inhaled. Once this oil is in the body it can have a healing property often on a person’s state of mind. There are a wide variety of different oils and each will have a different use. For example lavender is widely used to aid sleep and eucalyptus may be very useful as clearing the nasal passage when a person has a cold. Aromatherapy for Emotional Well-being It is important to note that aromatherapy should not be viewed as a miracle cure and if you are suffering from severe emotional conditions you may need other help.
However aromatherapy can be a useful compliment to conventional medicine. It is important to use essential oils safely and properly and they can then provide support and help a person to remain balanced emotionally throughout the day. Different oils can be used for different emotional problems and each will have different benefits. Below are a list of emotions and the oils that could help you with them:
1. Anger – this is something that many people can experience from time to time. However if you feel you are experiencing excessive anger then using essential oils could help to keep you calm. The oils that could be useful for this emotion are Bergamot, Jasmine, Neroli, Orange, Patchouli, Petitgrain, Roman Chamomile, Rose, Vetiver, Ylang Ylang.
2. Anxiety – this can be an emotion that has a significant effect on your life and so help can often be greatly appreciated. Oils that are useful include Bergamot, Cedarwood, Clary Sage, Frankincense, Geranium, Lavender, Mandarin, Neroli, Patchouli, Roman Chamomile, Rose, Sandalwood, Vetiver.
3. Confidence – if you are lacking in confidence you may want a little boost to help you get through and essential oils could provide you with this. Oil that are useful for confidence are Bay Laurel, Bergamot, Cypress, Grapefruit, Jasmine, Orange, Rosemary.
4. Depression – if you are suffering from severe depression you need to seek medical advice, however if you may want to use oils as a compliment to your medical treatment and oils that could be of benefit to you are Bergamot, Clary Sage, Frankincense, Geranium, Grapefruit, Helichrysum, Jasmine, Lavender, Lemon, Mandarin, Neroli, Orange, Roman Chamomile, Rose, Sandalwood, Ylang Ylang.
5. Fatigue – useful oils are Basil, Bergamot, Black Pepper, Clary Sage, Cypress, Frankincense, Ginger, Grapefruit, Helichrysum, Jasmine, Lemon, Patchouli, Peppermint, Rosemary, Sandalwood, Vetiver.
6. Fear – oils that can be of help are Bergamot, Cedarwood, Clary Sage, Frankincense, Grapefruit, Jasmine, Lemon, Neroli, Orange, Roman Chamomile Sandalwood, Vetiver.
7. Grief – oils that could help get you through difficult times are Cypress, Frankincense, Helichrysum, Neroli, Rose, Sandalwood, Vetiver.
8. Happiness – if you want to feel happier then oils that could be of use are Bergamot, Frankincense, Geranium, Grapefruit, Lemon, Neroli, Orange, Rose, Sandalwood, Ylang Ylang.
9. Insecurity – useful oils are Bergamot, Cedarwood, Frankincense, Jasmine, Sandalwood, Vetiver.
10. Irritability – oils that can be of help are Lavender, Mandarin, Neroli, Roman Chamomile, Sandalwood.
11. Loneliness – oils you can try are Bergamot, Clary Sage, Frankincense, Helichrysum, Roman Chamomile, Rose.
12. Panic Attacks – useful oils are Frankincense, Helichrysum, Lavender, Neroli, Rose.
13. Stress – oils that you could find helpful are Benzoin, Bergamot, Clary Sage, Frankincense, Geranium, Grapefruit, Jasmine, Lavender, Mandarin, Neroli, Patchouli, Roman Chamomile, Rose, Sandalwood, Vetiver, Ylang Ylang.